Sunday, August 14, 2016

Darn, I made a mistake!

We all make mistakes.  Even your DM makes mistakes.  So, first things first.

1) Don't beat yourself up about it.
2) If possible, clean up your mess.

Lets talk about some types of mistakes you might make, that *I've* repeatedly made.  My suggestions about how to deal with mistakes are how *most* DMs would rather they were handled.  If your DM wants to do it differently, she's the boss.

A) I clicked an attack roll, or double clicked an attack roll, or triple clicked an attack roll.
   Fix: if you weren't supposed to make any attack, everyone ignores your roll.  If you were supposed to roll once but you rolled twice (or more) the first roll is counted and the later rolls are ignored.

B) I clicked "Performance" instead of "Perception" or "Stealth" instead of "Survival."
   Fix: DMs are split on this, some want you to roll the right check, others take your d20 and change the modifier.  Ask before you re-roll.

C) I rolled an attack roll, but the creature wasn't targeted.
   Fix: Drag your die roll on top of the creature in the combat tracker, read the result to see if you hit

D) I rolled the damage dice even though I didn't hit the creature.
   Fix: Hold down the Ctrl key, and drag the damage on top of the creature in the combat tracker. Creature healed.

E) I didn't click on the +2 or -5 modifier before I rolled the attack.
   Fix: Click the modifier, and drag your die roll on top of the creature in the combat tracker, read the result to see if you still hit.

F) I didn't click on the ADV or DIS modifier before I rolled the attack
   Fix: Roll again, if you had advantage a hit either time will be a hit, if you had disadvantage a miss either time will miss.  Roll again even if you hit the first time unless you crit on your first attack, cause you might crit on your second one.

G) I rolled damage but didn't add my Sneak Attack/Hunter's Mark/Colossus Slayer effect
   Fix: As far as I can tell, you can't do this one on your own.  Roll the additional dice, and inform the DM of the additional Damage, and tell her the damage type (piercing, non-magical).  She'll have to clean up your mess.

H) I rolled a critical hit, but the creature wasn't targeted.  Now if I target the creature and roll damage, it will only do regular damage, not critical damage.
   Fix: After targeting the creature, hold shift while you roll damage -- it will auto-crit.

I) I added an effect to myself (or others) when I shouldn't have, or I added it multiple times, and it should only be listed once.
   Fix: For most DMs you will have to ask the DM to remove the effect for you.  However, if your DM has the Remove Effect Tag Extension loaded, then you can remove the effect yourself.  How this extension works is that you create a new effect that is identical to the one you placed except at the very beginning you type "REMOVE: " see my example below:



Do you have other or better ways of fixing mistakes?  If you let me know I'll add them to this list with credit unless you ask to be anonymous.




No comments:

Post a Comment